Last year around about now we launched nominations for the inaugural theatre-lovers’ choice Groundling Awards for the year. You responded en masse back then, but some of you came up with some suggestions for categories which were really excellent e.g., one we recall was for digital design and innovation in production. At the time we said we’d give consideration further along the track, and here we are.
Here’s what we’d really appreciate from our loyal readership: check over the categories we used for 2010 (below) and make any further suggestions of categories you’d like to see in the Comments pane. Having said that, we feel that fewer categories are more meaningful. For example, no distinction is made between work from the independent sector or from the main houses in town when considering acting, direction, design and so on – the boundaries between them are porous anyway, and artists travel between the indies and the main houses with ease. However, should there be separate awards for male and female actors do you think?
So, over to you. The Groundlings cover professional and/or independent theatre in Queensland. They do not consider work in community or amateur theatre.
We will accept your suggestions for categories up to Friday, December 16 and start the nominations process on 1st January. Nominations will close on 31 January, so there will be plenty of time to get your nominations in. Voting will commence on 1st February, with the winners announced, as last year, on 14th February. More details to come in time, of course!
- Outstanding Contribution by an Actor
- Outstanding Contribution by a Director
- Outstanding Contribution to Set Design
- Outstanding Contribution to Costume Design
- Outstanding Contribution to Lighting Design
- Outstanding Contribution to Sound Design
- Best New Play in an Inaugural Queensland Season
- Best Production by a Queensland Independent or Subsidised Company
- Best Co-Production
- Best Community Outreach Program by any Company or Group
- Best Use of Social Media by any theatre or group
- Outstanding Contribution to the Independent Theatre Sector